To say I’m excited about spring is a serious understatement. It’s been a long, snowy winter, so now it’s time to start planning ways to get the family out of hibernation mode! Spring in Buffalo is a wonderful season and there is so much to experience around town. Here’s my ultimate spring bucket list full of 19 activities your family needs to do this Spring. So start marking your calendar!
1. Welcome spring at the annual Spring Flower exhibit at the Buffalo Botanical Gardens starting March 26 and running through April 24th. The Botanical Bunny will be joining the Gardens on Friday, April 15, and Saturday, April 16 from 10 am – 3 pm so if you have young ones be sure not to miss him!
2. Head to the Buffalo Mac & Cheese Festival happening April 2, 2022 – April 3, 2022, at Buffalo Riverworks. At the event, there are over 30 Kinds of Mac and Cheese to sample from top chefs and food vendors. With live music and entertainment, get ready to vote for Buffalo’s Best Mac and Cheese! Children 12 years old and under get free admission.
3. Enjoy a day out at the ball game watching Bisons Baseball! Opening Day is Tuesday, April 5, 2022. Even better, Star Wars Night presented by Alfred State College returns for the first time in three years on Saturday, June 11, complete with specialized team jerseys, fan-costumer appearances, and postgame Fireworks. And don’t forget to join the Kids Club, where you get lots of free stuff for younger baseball fans!
4. Enjoy the Dyngus Day Parade! Dyngus Day always falls on the Monday after Easter. In 2022, Dyngus Day will take place on Monday, April 18th. There are many other activities in the Buffalo-Niagara region happening throughout the week as well. Follow on Facebook for up-to-date events going on.
5. Go see the toe-tapping show Trolls! Live at Shea’s Performing Arts on May 7th or 8th. It’s their first-ever live tour and you won’t want to miss this hair-raising adventure! The trolls host a jam-packed, fantastic show with epic music, glitter, humor, and happiness that only the trolls can create.
6. There’s nothing like the fragrance of roses in the springtime. Pack a picnic and head over to Delaware Park Rose Garden, where you can enjoy these budding blooms, along with the springtime beauty of the park. After lunch, the little ones can enjoy the playground for a bit.
7. Enjoy the beauty (and sweet smell!) of cherry blossoms at the Buffalo Cherry Blossom Festival, an annual celebration of Japanese heritage that coincides with the local cherry blossom bloom April 30th through May 1st.
8. Celebrate by checking out some of the other best playgrounds around Buffalo.
9. Go shopping at the huge Bella Kids Consignment sale happening April 29th through May 1st. Find great deals on clothes, baby gear, books, and of course, toys!!
10. Attend Family Funday on the second Sunday of each month at Albright Knox Northland. They have drop-in art activities, inspired by a different exhibition, theme, or artwork. Art supplies are provided and no pre-registration is required. Just drop in!
Sunday, March 13, 2022, 1–2:30 pm
Inspired by In These Truths
Sunday, April 10, 2022, 1–2:30 pm
Inspired by In These Truths
Sunday, May 8, 2022, 1–2:30 pm
Inspired by In These Truths
They also host Storytime Family Workshops that take place as part of Family Funday. Space is limited for this event and pre-registration is required.
11. You won’t want to miss seeing the animals come out to enjoy the spring scents at the Buffalo Zoo.
12. Head to the Buffalo Museum of Science to see Antarctic Dinosaurs, on exhibit through March. Visitors are immersed in the thrilling hunt for never-before-seen fossils and new discoveries about our planet’s ever-changing climate. Guests are able to touch real fossils from Antarctica, come face-to-face with scientists’ discoveries such as the twenty-five-foot-long predator Cryolophosaurus, and more!
13. Free Comic Book Day, happening on May 7th this year is where you can go to local shops and they give you specially made comic books just for the event!
14. Attend free tech and arts activities at The Foundry. Take a tour and bring your kids to participate in the free tech and arts-related activities!
Kids will learn things like:
- What materials are appropriate to cut and etch using a laser
- How basic circuits work
- How technology can be used in arts practice
- What sorts of careers incorporate tech and art (hint: a lot more than you think!)
Materials supplied by The Foundry.
The classes cost NOTHING and are perfect for kids ages 8 and up. Parents/Guardians must be on-site for youth to participate.
15. Join thousands of fellow LEGO fans as they converge at the Rochester Armory for BrickUniverse LEGO Fan Convention. There will be LEGO displays, art, building zones, special guests, merchants, experiences, and more!
Saturday, April 23, 2022 – 10am-1pm + 1pm-4pm
Sunday, April 24, 2022 – 10am-1pm + 1pm-4pm
16. Head to Grand Island Fun Center for a day of unlimited mini golf and arcade fun! The go-karts might even be open early!
17. Take advantage of Maple Weekend, where you can experience and learn about New York’s maple sugarmaking processes and traditions. You’ll get a chance to taste pure maple syrup in its many forms – right from the source.
18. Head downtown and take a ride on the fully restored Buffalo Heritage Carousel. The carousel is enclosed in a landmark building and powered by the sun!
19. Spring means it’s finally warm enough to eat ice cream again and Buffalo is filled with ice cream shops all around town!