There is a new rewards program at Tim Hortons!
I am so excited to see Tim Hortons introducing a new rewards program! So how does it work and how to sign up?! Keep reading!
As of February 26, 2020, the Tims® Rewards program has changed. This post, originally written in April 2019, has been updated to reflect the new changes.
I was able to earn quite a bit of free stuff with the old Tim Hortons reward program. Overall I was happy with how it worked, despite having an issue at the beginning.
Fast forward to March 2020, and the Tims® Rewards program has been revamped to a new points-based system.
At first, when I updated my app, I was having a lot of issues, including my balance disappearing, not being able to earn or redeem points, and having my home location not match my app location.
I ended up completely deleting the app from my Smartphone, then reinstalling it. Once I signed in using the same email I had under the old program, everything seemed to be in working order, for now.
Details about the new (revamped) Tims® Rewards program:
Under the old reward system, you were able to score FREE items every 7th visit. Purchases tracked through your Tims® Rewards Card, and after seven (7) eligible purchases of $0.50 or more, you would receive a reward loaded to your account. Then redeem your reward for any size coffee, tea, or baked good (excluding bagels and Timbits) completely FREE.
Now with the revamped Tims® Rewards program, it is a points-based system where you will earn 10 points each visit with an eligible purchase of $0.50 or more. Regardless of how much you spend or the number of items you buy, you receive 10 points. Once you have accumulated enough points, you can redeem for a free reward as follows (note that this is from a US-based account, Canadian accounts may differ):
60 points – Classic Cookie, Classic Donut, Specialty Donut
80 points – Brewed Coffee & Tea (Specialty or Steeped)
120 points – Hot Chocolate, French Vanilla, Regular Iced Coffee
160 points – 10 Pack Timbits, Original Iced Capp, Regular Hot or Cold Lattes
200 points – Biscuit or English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich or Breakfast Wraps
240 points – Turkey Bacon Club, Ham, and Swiss, Chicken Wraps
How to register for Tims® Rewards:
- First, download the Tim Hortons app. Then create or sign in to your account using your email address. You will be issued a digital reward number right in your new account, which you will scan with each purchase to earn your 10 points.
- If you do not have a Smartphone but do have a plastic reward card, you can register online with your email at TimHortons.com. Once your card has been registered online for the Tims® Rewards program, that card will earn you points. Note that Tim Hortons does want to go completely digital with this program, so they have stopped issuing plastic reward cards as of January 1, 2020.
How to earn Tims® Rewards:
- Head to your favorite Tims and place your order.
- After you place your order, scan your digital card from your Smartphone or a physical card to earn ten (10) Tims® Rewards points. Your points will be based on the number of visits, not by dollars spent. Each visit must be at least 30 minutes apart to qualify for the 10 points and contain a purchase of at least $0.50 after any other discounts are applied.
- Even better – you can save time and order right from the Tim Hortons app! It’s super easy, and you can choose to dine-in, pick-up, or drive-thru. You will make the payment directly through the app, plus your ten reward points will be issued right away, no need to scan your reward card!
Some things to keep in mind about Tims® Rewards:
- Use your Tims™️ Rewards card at any participating Tim Hortons Restaurants. Unfortunately, a few Tim Hortons locations (like those at hospitals and airports) have different sale systems, which means they are unable to accept the Tim Hortons Reward Card.
- If you make a purchase of less than $0.50 after discounts, that will not earn you any points.
- There is a time limit of 30 minutes between transactions to earn another set of points. So if you purchase another order in less than 30 minutes from the first one, you will not receive ten (10) reward points for that second order.
- You can save up to 20,000 points in your account (doing quick math that means 2,000 purchases!).
- Reward points will expire ONE YEAR from the date they were earned.